Avoid constipation for the Bowel
Constipation can be painful and uncomfortable and currently, there is no definitive cure. However, there are a few things you can do to help keep your bowels healthy and avoid becoming constipated.
If you follow the guidance below, it will help you avoid constipation.
- Eat more high-fibre foods such as wholegrain bread, wholegrain breakfast cereals, fruit and vegetables.
- Make sure you drink lots of fluids to keep the stools moist e.g. at least 6-8 water-based drinks per day.
- If possible, increase your physical activity as this helps to increase bowel activity.
- Don’t wait to do a bowel movement. If you feel the urge, go now!
- Take enough time to sit on the toilet. A good time for this may be after breakfast or lunch when your bowels are most active.
- Make sure you sit on the toilet properly. This means sitting up straight so that the small tube just before the anus (the anal canal) will also be straight. This makes it easier to push stools out. You may need to put your feet on a footstool in front of the toilet.
You can also download and read our toilet position guide which could also help.